The theme for this year’s Earth Day is climate action. Climate change is now the biggest challenge facing our world, and Galaxy International Convention Center (GICC) is joining the call for action. We are driving sustainability and engaging our employees in green events that will significantly reduce our carbon footprint in both the workplace and the community.
These are the Top 10 GICC Green Goals you need to know:
1. Sustainably Designed
GICC is currently being built in accordance with Gold Certification for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) and Silver Certification from EarthCheck. When it opens in 2021, GICC will meet a number of important criteria for sustainability, and these are key highlights:
- GICC has been specifically designed to house its own robust and highly efficient “Energy Center” which includes a central chiller plant that can be integrated with future chiller plants; a centralized chilled water supply and a 110kV power substation for not only GICC, but for the entire GIR precinct.
- The Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system at GICC is among the world’s most advanced, featuring effective energy saving measures to optimize ventilation.
- Eco-friendly Green Walls will be planted along the façade of the Galaxy Arena entrance and at the Andaz Macau entrance to keep temperatures cooler in summer and reduce the amount of heat escaping in winter.
- GICC’s extensive use of LEDs all throughout the building will significantly reduce energy consumption. Traditional 40w fluorescent tubes will be replaced by 5w or 10w LEDs and a Building Management System (BMS) scheduler will be implemented to switch on and off lights in a more timely and efficient manner.
2. Saving Energy & Emissions
GICC will be the first building in Macau to feature Real Time Energy Management for monitoring energy consumption. This system adopts AI and iBMS technologies to analyze data and provide recommendations for energy optimization in real time. In its first year of operation, GICC aims to contribute an additional 2 – 3% of savings for the Galaxy Integrated Resorts (GIR) as a whole. At the start of 2019, we have set a 3% energy savings target for Galaxy Macau™ and Broadway Macau™ against a 2016 baseline level. Ultimately, we exceeded our targets by achieving a 9.1% energy reduction.
3. Conserving Water
Reducing water consumption is another important goal for GICC and the following measures are now being implemented to ensure more water is preserved:
- The venue will feature low-flow, sensor activated water fixtures to reduce water wastage by 30%.
- A Condensate Water Recovery System will be used to harvest air moisture from air conditioning and turn it into cool liquid form for re-use in the heat rejection at cooling towers.
- A chemical-free process for potable water treatment includes Reverse Osmosis to soften water and UV light to sterilize water within GICC.
- Kitchens at GICC will feature high-grade dishwashing machines that reduce carbon emissions, use minimal energy and reduce water consumption.
4. Waste Management
Recently, we have made a significant step toward saving waste by partnering with Coca-Cola. Together, we are giving plastic bottles a second life. All PET water bottles across the GIR precinct will be processed into food grade plastic pellets and recycled into new bottles. This process reduces carbon footprint by up to 63%. All of our bottles in future, including those used at GICC, will adopt a new lightweight design with reduced plastic content. Beyond this initiative, GICC also plans to implement these important waste management measures:
- Continue back-of-house waste separation systems
- Provide reusable, eco-friendly and biodegradable supplies
- Food waste processing machines will be available on-site
- Cardboard, glass, metal cans, cooking oils, coffee capsules, soap and mixed paper will be recycled
- Registrations to be made via QR codes, e-tickets or by facial recognition to replace paper
- Organizers and production houses will be encouraged to use products with recyclable/biodegradable materials or to re-use modular systems and furnishings.
5. Sustainable Dining
Sustainable sourcing and promoting healthy dining are at the core of the culinary team’s green goals for GICC. All of the following best practices will be put into place across the venue:
- Sourcing of local ingredients
- Use of Chinaware, flatware and reusable containers
- When single-use products are required, only plates, cups and cutlery made from recycled and rapidly renewable content will be used
- Sourcing of fair trade coffee and tea that has been grown and harvested in a socially and environmentally responsible manner
- Sourcing of sustainable seafood for better ocean ecosystems
- Sourcing of water-wise fruit, vegetables and meat to conserve water
- The creation of nutritionally balanced “Green Menus”
6. Environmentally Friendly Transportation
In an effort to significantly lower the carbon footprint, GICC has been strategically built in a location that is easily accessible by the Macao Light Rapid Transit (LRT), by electric shuttle bus or by foot. GICC is located right in front of the LRT’s “Cotai West” station, and visitors can board the LRT on arrival in Macau from the Taipa Ferry Terminal, the airport or the Lotus Checkpoint at Hengqin. GIR was the first resort in Macau to introduce its own fleet of electric shuttle buses, and guests are welcome to enjoy complimentary, environmentally friendly rides to and from GICC. Guests who are staying at any one of the hotels within the GIR precinct can also easily walk to GICC within minutes. Alternatively, visitors who drive electric cars to GICC, will be able to charge their vehicles at any one of our charging stations while they are attending events.
7. “Green Engage”
GICC has formed its own sustainability team called “Green Engage” to drive the venue’s sustainability program and engage employees in green events designed to protect the environment. This team will also support the group’s Environmental Committee, Energy Management Committee and CSR initiatives throughout the GIR precinct. Together, they will educate employees about how to reduce waste, water and energy consumption at work, while also encouraging them to continue carrying out these best practices in the community.
8. Sustainability Awards
GICC has been designed to align with “Gold Certification” requirements from Leadership In Energy & Environmental Design (LEED). The U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) is a non-profit coalition of building industry leaders that created the LEED rating system to encourage and reward sustainable design with respect to sustainable site choice, energy savings, water efficiency, reduction in CO2 emissions and indoor environmental quality. GICC is also built in accordance with EarthCheck’s Building Planning and Design Standards. Headquartered in Australia, EarthCheck is an international tourism advisory group for travel and tourism developed by Sustainable Tourism CRC. Buildings that successfully meet EarthCheck requirements will receive a “Silver Certified” seal.
9. Nurturing the Next Generation
Over the past decade, we have been partnering with the Macau Management Association (MMA) to organize GEG Youth Achievement Program (YAP) initiatives. YAP gives talented young individuals from Macau the opportunity to attend a variety of training courses, join in “Potential Development” workshops, Greater Bay Area field visits and to enter a “Final Competition” where awards are presented to the most outstanding YAP participants. Through YAP and our close partnerships with local universities, we will encourage youths to learn more about the MICE industry. Our team of professionals will share our own insights on MICE by speaking at universities and will encourage students to visit GICC, where they can witness, first-hand, the way in which an events venue operates.
10. Cultivating Local Partners
We proactively support the development of local SMEs, and we were the first integrated resort to introduce a “Large-Businesses-Leading-Small-Businesses” approach to assisting SMEs. In collaboration with the Macao Chamber of Commerce, we have also launched a Local SME Procurement Partnership Program to boost the businesses of SMEs. Today, local enterprises and SMEs account for the majority of our suppliers. In 2018 & 2019, Broadway Macau has hosted the “Macau Gourmet Festival @ Broadway” in partnership with local SMEs to promote Macau’s culinary heritage and to celebrate UNESCO’s recognition of Macau as a Creative City of Gastronomy. In future, through GICC, our in-house team of creative event planners – EVENT STUDIO – will proactively collaborate with local SMEs to create impactful business events.