Galaxy Integrated Resorts implements 5 new sustainable measures to reduce waste at source
Galaxy Integrated Resorts (GIR) has been taking concrete steps towards our vision for a green future and low-carbon lifestyle. A number of measures have been taken to promote and enhance our team members’ awareness of energy conservation.
The Team Member Restaurant has about 15,000 visits daily. Our team has devoted much effort in ensuring the balance between food taste, safety, comfort and environmental protection.
1. Digital Menus
- Instead of using traditional paper menus, digital screens have been installed to display menu of the day and replace paper menus at the entrances. With the new digital screens, more than 7,300 sheets of paper can be saved per year.
2. Hand Washing Machines
- Food safety and hygiene are the priorities in our dining venues. To encourage team members to wash their hands more often, new hand washing devices are installed. Team members only need to follow the instructions on the screen, and the machines will automatically dispense water, hand sanitizer and paper towels. Compared with traditional hand wash basins, the machines can save 90% of water consumption, 60% of both hand sanitizer and paper towels.
3. Sauce dispensers
- A huge amount of individually packaged sauces such as jams, condensed milk, and salad dressings is consumed every day. As a more eco-friendly solution, sauce dispensers are used instead. This reduces the disposal of more than 800,000 sauce packages and minimizes sauce wastage as more than 95% of the sauce inside the dispenser can be utilized. Freezing is not required, which significantly reduces storage cost, transportation cost and carbon emissions. From a food safety perspective, the easy package can minimize the chance of direct contact of the sauce and avoid blending in foreign object into the sauce during replenishment process, so as to ensure the food hygiene standard.
- Similar dispensers have also been used for beverages, all packaged sugar and coffee powder, saving more than 730,000 packages per year.
4. "Bag-in-Box" Beverages
- Bonaqua Aquarious is a very popular drink in Team Member Restaurant. The annual supply is about 78,000 liters, which also means 78,000 plastic bottles are used in one year. It takes at least 450 years for plastic bottles to decompose, and plastic bottles cannot be recycled and reused repeatedly without affecting their quality. With the introduction of "bag-in-box" beverages in soda fountains, the use of plastic bottles has been greatly reduced.
5. Biodegradable Disinfectants
- In light of recent events, hygiene becomes the utmost concern for everyone, but it is also crucial to be eco-friendly. All our long-term cleaning service suppliers are certified with ISO14001 (Environmental Management System Certification) by following a series of environmental protection processes and product regulations. From sourcing raw materials to production and to waste disposal, every step is strictly controlled to minimize environmental impact. At the same time, all sanitizers and disinfectant detergents used within GIR are biodegradable and are proved to be harmless to humans, animals and the environment.
- We have recently upgraded our dishwashers to energy-saving models, and the steam and water generated by the dishwashers can be reused after purification. The demand for air-conditioning is also reduced.
GIR has been proactively promoting energy conservation and sustainable development. Early this year, we have received the “Excellence Award” in the “Macau Energy Saving Contest” co-organized by Companhia de Electricidade de Macau and the Office for the Development of the Energy Sector. The award is a recognition for our team members’ outstanding performance and measures on energy conservation and carbon reduction.
Measures taken include reducing lighting, installing high-efficiency lighting products, adopting a smart lighting system and temperature control system, and optimizing the central air conditioning system and refrigeration equipment:
- The car park smart lighting system has reduced energy consumption by over 80% yearly
- The optimized central air conditioning system has reduced energy consumption by 40%
- The high efficiency kitchen refrigeration facility has reduced energy consumption by 30%
We will continue to proactively reduce energy consumption and carbon emissions, while providing a comfortable and healthy environment for our guests and team members, and supporting sustainable developments worldwide.
Planning to organize a green meeting? Contact our professional team today and see how we can help.